Sunday, March 23, 2008

Reaction to Great Expectations

I really liked the radical translation of the book Great Expectations. I think that the screenwriter stayed true the the message and theme of the book but still added in his own ideas and transformed the book into a modern day movie. By doing such a great job on the translation I feel that it attracted a much larger audience than a literal translation would have. I think the movie was more something that people can relate to rather then the book. The movie stayed true to the characters, although changing some of the names still kept their personality, message and purpose in the story. I think that the screenwriter took the main idea of the story, transformed it into a modern day situation and then began putting in details from the text. I think the screenwriter did a very good job with the process and made the book that I found not so interesting and great movie to watch. In my opinion the screenwriter also met the three criteria that are most important in making a successful film.

No comments: